Book forthcoming and partial Editorial Letter

Hello everyone:

If all goes as planned, Lights Out: A Cuban Memoir of Betrayal and Survival will be available on Amazon next week. My plate is full as I work on promotion and marketing.

Writing this memoir has been a labor of love. I would like to share partial editorial letter I received as part of
line editing process.

  EDITORIAL LETTER (LINE EDITING)
Lights Out, by Dania Rosa Nasca

Main Objective

The preface sets the tone well, providing the context for your memoir and an overview of pre-Castro Cuba and Castro’s ascension to power. 

I thought the history and personal stories were well balanced, with the historical elements providing context for the personal stories. 

Because this was so well written, my focus was on punctuation, formatting, and some grammar issues.


Structure
Your comment in your questionnaire about the chronological structure sounded like you think it might not have been the best way to go, but I think it works well with the story you are telling. You let the reader see what Cuba was like before the revolution, how support for the revolution and Castro continued to build to a fever pitch, then the devastation of communist rule. Interwoven in this history lesson is a glimpse into the experiences of you, your family, and your friends during this time. I thought you skillfully used foreshadowing when telling a story of happier times to let the reader know that so much was going to change in such a short time.

The manuscript is divided into chapters and smaller subsections indicated by subheads. There are many transitions within the subsections, moving from history lesson to personal experiences and back, but I didn’t feel lost in the transitions. There were some instances where I thought transitions were abrupt, but I left them as is because, in this case, it jolts the reader from everyday family events to the harsh reality of the political climate.

I hope these edits and comments are valuable in helping the manuscript achieve your publishing goals. Good luck in your revision, and I wish you all the best for this manuscript and future books.

—Kate, CreateSpace Editor