A Runaway Ride



A Runaway Ride

Sometimes when my grandfather went into town, he would take my mother with him on the horse. During one of those trips, he did not tie the horse’s reins when he dismounted. When he turned around to get my mother down, it was too late. The horse took off in a flash with my mother hanging onto the horse’s neck for dear life.
As the horse raced at full speed, things began to fall out of the saddle pack. Playing cards flew behind the horse. At times my mom’s body was completely off the horse, flying in the air, attached to the horse only by her arms tight around its neck. My grandfather kept running after them, asking people along the way if they had seen a horse with a little girl hanging on, after the horse had run out of his sight. He was sure that at any moment he would find my mother dead on the roadside, but finally the horse decided that he had had enough. He stopped and calmly began grazing with my mom still clinging on for dear life until Papasito caught up, which he finally did. She did not have a scratch on her.

© Dania Rosa Nasca
March 12, 2016
All rights reserved