Then in 1933, the unimaginable happened. Valito committed suicide.

Ever since I can remember, my uncle Valito’s tragic, self-inflicted death has been a mystery. From the little information I have been able to garner, I came to understand that, while at a family gathering, he committed a youthful indiscretion that most probably today would be considered benign. I seem to remember my mother telling me he had too much to drink. However, in the early 1930s, youthful foolishness was considered a big deal. A relative told my grandfather and my grandfather reprimanded my uncle and that was the end of that, but my uncle was sensitive and took the scolding to heart. Coming from a family filled with borderline depression, he was thrown into an inner state of anguish and deep depression.

© Dania Rosa Nasca
March 5, 2016
All rights reserved