Severino



Not too long after my sister’s birth in 1949, my maternal great-grandfather died. He left his land in El Pesquero, a region of Cuba not to be confused with Pesquero Beach, to my grandmother and the rest of his children. The handling of the land portion of the inheritance was shady. The sisters did not get any land. It is not clear whether my great-grandfather left a written will or just told Severino, my grandmother’s brother to handle the estate.

Many times my grandmother told the part of the story that is known. After her father died, Severino showed up with two tin cans, one can for my grandmother, the other for her sister.

“Many, many years ago our father put this money in these tin cans for you and our sister,” he said to my grandmother.

“Severino, I did not know they had these brands back then,” my grandmother told him.

© Copyright, Dania Rosa Nasca
All Rights Reserved
April 1, 2016